- Use mental models to understand user experience before making design and strategic decisions
- Develop mental models that represent the true roots of your users' behavior.
- discover things about your customers you never thought to ask
- Avoid common mistakes when building mental models
When it comes to your users, do you really know what they want? Is your team struggling to agree on a common design because everyone has a different opinion about what’s right? Are you unsure how to organize your site or product to match user expectations?
Design teams work hard to address the entire user experience, yet many don't have the right techniques to uncover all the information occupying a user's attention. To build a robust design, it's essential that design teams firmly understand what users want to get done. That’s where mental models come in.
To help you get into the head of your customers, we’ve turned to expert UX designer, Indi Young, who has written the hot off the press book, Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior.
In this Virtual Seminar, Indi will introduce you to the concept of Mental Models, a method for modeling the attention flow of your users. Mental Models give design teams a solid method for matching functionality and features to the user's motivations, thought processes, emotions, and philosophies.
In this presentation, Indi Young will discuss:
- How mental models represent the whole user experience. You will learn how mental models will help you better understand the entire user experience before making design and strategic decisions.
- How to develop mental models that represent the true roots of your users' behavior. By walking you through the process of building mental model diagrams and teaching you the “hallway test,” Indi will show you how to dive down to the core emotions, philosophies, and actions that drive people's behavior.
- How you will discover things about your customers you never thought to ask. Mental model diagrams enable your team to see beyond the boundaries of what they've decided is the product. Indi will discuss some of the valuable information teams have gathered from mental models.
- Common mistakes to avoid when building mental models.
Google, the United Nations, Wells Fargo, and PeopleSoft are just a few of the organizations that have leveraged Mental Models to improve their designs and processes.
Use mental models to understand user experience before making design and strategic decisions
Develop mental models that represent the true roots of your users' behavior.
discover things about your customers you never thought to ask
Avoid common mistakes when building mental models
Who Should Attend? This seminar is for web designers, product designers, user ethnographers, and marketing professionals who want to uncover their customer needs at a deeper level.
Indi Young has been pioneering ways to understand customers and employees in order to support them better for more than 20 years. Most organizations have developed awareness and expertise at gathering big data—the numbers that track what and how people have done things—but they don’t necessarily understand the why. Indi helps clients tune in by using the messy, divergent reasoning and motivations that drive people’s decisions. She’s an expert at gathering the thoughts that lie deeper than simple preferences, opinions, and desires. She can solidify patterns and sort through wavelengths to focus on particular channels and support people in more powerful ways.
Indi was a founder of Adaptive Path in 2001, which has provided leadership for the experience and strategy design field. Indi has worked with clients in many industries, including higher education, and has seamlessly embedded with teams at multi-national organizations as well as with tiny start-ups. Indi’s style of engagement and tremendous knowledge always delights.