It wasn’t a hard breakup for many to make, kicking traditional product roadmaps to the curb. Some said roadmaps made them into liars. They were overly detailed, a joke, and a disappointment. They couldn’t keep up with their new Agile and Lean friends.
And yet…product roadmaps offer something unique that investors, stakeholders, and even customers like to see: a clear articulation of the product’s purpose, strategy, and goals.
Bruce McCarthy shares a brand new breed of product roadmap that focuses on results. This roadmap has evolved from its rigid forebears into a powerful strategic communications tool that gives companies a competitive edge by providing context for what they are doing, defining priorities, and focusing on value.
The new product roadmap rallies teams around priorities, and recognizes complexity. Gone are the days of roadmaps that act like project plans, promising too much, and delivering too little.
Business owners, product and project managers, and anyone interested in learning how to develop a successful product roadmap that impresses customers and investors alike will benefit from this seminar.
Discussion Prompts for Your Team:
- What obstacles have we faced previously when trying to use a roadmap? What do we need to do differently the next time we create a roadmap?
- Do we have a clear vision statement for our product? What is it?
- Do we have business objectives for our product? If not, what goals do we have for our product?
- Have we identified our stakeholder and customer needs adequately? If not, when and how can we do that?
- Have we been objectively prioritizing our fixes and enhancements?
- Do we have buy-in from our stakeholders to implement a roadmap? If not, what can we do to change that?